Wednesday, February 25, 2009

February 25, 2009 - Ash Wednesday

He Sends The Snow In Winter

Read Methodist Hymnal #513 - We Plow the Fields (1964-66 Hymnal)

Over the past years I have tried to make a habit of beginning each day with a devotion and prayer. I began this practice many years ago using Charlie’s Lenten Devotional Booklet. The past couple of months I find myself beginning my day with snow shoveling followed by devotions.

I’m one of those strange folk who enjoys the snow. Maybe I like it because I grew up in the U.P. but more likely because it is a time for me to get exercise and fresh air. When I go out early, in the morning the beauty and quiet is a marvel to behold it is also a great time to chat with God. Today I was noticing that today’s snow was heavy, the perfect kind for snowmen. Much of the snow so far this season has been the light fluffy or grainy type. I was wondering why God sends us different kinds of snow and what about this “global warming stuff”. Two things occurred to me … 1 – the good packing snow is for play and I should do more of that and 2 – the light fluffy snow is to make the shoveling easier and save my back.

I know everyone (even some in my family) do not appreciate or even like snow but it is a beautiful, quiet way for God to water our earth. The snow covered ground is a time for the Earth to rest. Maybe we should take the cue and try to do the same for just a few minutes of our busy day. When Spring arrives our grass, flowers and leaves will burst forth new with renewed hope for a better world.

Dear Lord, we thank you for the snows you send. Help us to remember that you are sending the snow for play, rest, peace, beauty, and to renew the Earth. Remind us to take a moment to rest and enjoy your quiet beauty. Amen

Gretchen Brammer

No comments: