Wednesday, April 01, 2015

April 1, 2015

........I had no shoes
Read: 1 Corinthians 10:13

I suffered through last summer with my arm in a sling because of a torn rotator cuff. It was not pleasant, but I made it without moaning about it too much. The worst part was not being able to mow the lawn and having to hire it done (something I had never done) and not feeling right about driving a car. It didn't seem fair that this would happen to me. I had behaved rather well. I had a balanced program of diet and exercise; no bad habits and was the absolute picture of health and vitality. Let's just say this was no fun.

While in this frame of mind, I was talking to a friend who has a daughter with a really severe problem. She had one leg not growing as long as the other. For months she had to wear an appliance to lengthen the bones in the shorter leg, but it only does so with extreme pain for the little girl (and those around who could hear her screams). I said to my friend, at least I know my shoulder can be fixed. Thinking about the little girl's problem made me feel much better about the inconvenience I was experiencing (and the surgery did "fix it"). He said the same thing about his daughter's problem – at least it can be fixed.

What really set me straight was his description of their visits to the Shriner Hospital in Chicago. His daughter was getting treatment there and was going to be all right. As he watched other kids going through therapy, who would not be all right and were struggling to accomplish the most ordinary of activities, he was grateful they could not see the tears streaming down his face. I think I have chosen not to remember his description of what he saw because it is not something I want to carry with me.


I guess you could say .......................I met the man who had no feet.



Jack Van Becelaere

No comments: