Saturday, February 27, 2010

February 24, 2010

Listen!!

The boy Samuel was serving God under Eli’s direction. This was at a time when the revelation of God was rarely heard or seen. One night Eli was sound asleep. It was well before dawn; the sanctuary lamp was still burning. Samuel was still in bed in the Temple of God where the Chest of God rested.
Then God called out, “Samuel, Samuel!” [I Samuel 3:1-4]. Samuel thought that Eli was calling him. God called four times before Samuel understood.

One day long ago, God’s Word came to Jonah, Amittai’s son: “Up on your feet and on your way to the big city of Nineveh! Preach to them. They’re in a bad way and I can’t ignore it any longer.”
But Jonah got up and went the other direction to Tarshish, running away from God. He went down to the port of Joppa and found a ship headed for Tarshish. He paid the fare and went on board, joining those going to Tarshish -- as far away from God as he could get. [Jonah 1:1-3]

The Bible teaches that God has a plan for each of us, a task that uses our particular, special talents. But what is that task? Samuel was chosen to clean up the Temple and lead Israel. Jonah was chosen to preach God’s judgment to the people of Nineveh. The Bible teaches us to listen for God’s call.
I listened, and heard nothing.
I prayed for years and heard nothing.
Finally I heard a quiet whisper that contained the germ of an idea. Slowly that whisper grew into a loud, clear assignment.
I thanked God for answering my prayers. Then I heard God laugh and say, “I answered every day from your first prayer. The hardest part was cleaning out your ears so you could hear me.”

Dear Lord, help me to hear you speak to me. Grant me the patience to listen for your words, the quiet to hear when you speak and the faith to follow your command.

Open my ears, that I may hear
Voices of truth thou sendest clear;
And while the wave-notes fall on my ear,
Everything false will disappear.
Silently now I wait for thee,
Ready my God they will to see;
Open my ears, Illumine me, Spirit divine!

Ched Fine

No comments: