Saturday, February 27, 2010

February 26, 2010

Be Still

“Be still and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.” Psalm 46:10

Learning to “be still” has been a journey. Being busy is more my nature than being still. I like to fill my time with activities that have a purpose and make me feel productive. Over the last few years we have moved with my husband’s work.
While we were in North Carolina, my new friend, June, shared her love of the Lord and how she spends time in relationship with Him. She would read the Bible, journal about it and write out a prayer. Journaling was something that I had not done before.
We then moved to Hawaii and a new friend, Vickia, shared a book titled Adoration. The book was about Mary and Martha. My friend would say to just “be still” like Mary at the feet of Jesus. Mary showed adoration and devotion to Jesus by choosing to spend time with Him. Our faith grows as we get to know Him more.
The church we attended in Hawaii encouraged doing daily devotions. They gave out bookmarks with a Bible reading plan for three months on it. Wow! A plan to go by; that was just what I needed to get me started on my new challenge to “be still”. It was time for me to grow in my knowledge of the Bible and my faith. The Bible verse that the church quoted a lot was Jeremiah 29:11, “For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not harm you, plan to give you hope and a future.” This verse is so full of hope. I started the reading plan and discovered more promises and applications for life.
We then moved to Tennessee, where I attended the Rock Solid Bible study with three new friends that are inspiring teachers. We studied a book titled, Lord I Want to Know You. Then I met a sweet neighbor, Alice. She came out one day for our walk wearing a tee shirt that said BE STILL on the front with the rest of the verse was on the back. I wanted one immediately, but it was from a 2003 Spiritual Retreat she had been on. It was as if God was reminding me again to “be still” with Him to learn His directions for my life. I have had encouraging mentors all along the way, plus the Divine Mentor. God wants us to seek Him with all our hearts. “You will seek Me and find Me when you seek Me with all your heart.” Jeremiah 29:13

Prayer: Thank you God for your Word. Help me to hear You today. I want to be still so that I may hear your marching orders for my day, my week, my life. Speak, Lord. Your servant is listening. IJNA

Doing daily devotions, a time to “be still” with God’s Word, gives us hope and a future as we learn to trust Him more and more.

Nancy Kent

No comments: