Saturday, February 25, 2023

February 25, 2023

Fasting for Lent

“Blow the horn in Zion; demand a fast; request a special assembly. Gather the people; prepare a holy meeting; assemble the elders; gather the children, even the nursing infants.” - Joel 2:15-16a

Do you fast for Lent? Is there something you’ve given up for the Lent season (the whole season, including Sundays)? Over the years I’ve given up different things, such as soda pop, fried fast food (which kept Subway on the list as an option), and fasting for one day a week during Lent. Each were a challenge, especially at the beginning. Giving up something that you like takes a bit of focus, right? There were moments when I think I was thinking about what I had given up, more than thinking about the space it was creating in my life. When you fast for a day, that means your meal time is open to doing other things, such as not thinking about what other people may be eating for their meals. This particular Lent fast opened me to thinking about adding something during Lent, such as prayer time, scripture reading, or serving. It opened the door of using the Book of Common Prayer’s daily office for personal devotions. It also opened the door to reading the Psalms every day. When COVID came, I committed to reading the Psalms every month (5 chapters a day). That particular Lent discipline continued for the next twelve months as I read the book of Psalms monthly from a different translation. Doing so gave me a deeper appreciation for the Psalms and how they speak to our daily lives. It was also a place where God met me time and time again. His words breathed life and hope into me on more than one occasion. It was a journey that I treasured and one that has led me back to the Psalms for more reflection and prayer.

What have you given up for Lent to give God some space to fill? What have you added to make your Lent journey one where you open your mind, heart, and life to God and God’s way?

Prayer: Lord Jesus, help us make space in our lives for you. As we do so, please fill those gaps with your presence, so that we may hear your voice and feel you near. Amen.

Rev. David Eardley

No comments: