Thursday, March 07, 2024

Thursday, March 7, 2024

Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?”

You may know this song from 1969, written by Robert Lamm of the then called Chicago Transit Authority, later known as the group Chicago.
I loved the song in the 70s and heard it recently – and I have been thinking about how profound is this question. It sort of gets into my personal theme for 2024 of slowing down, living in the moment, and really being present to now.

The singer makes reference to people hurrying and trying to beat the clock – and constantly referencing “what time is it?” – in a panicky way.
We have learned that time is given to us by God, moment by moment, and that there is no way to speed up or slow down time.
I feel that hurrying has become a habit for me – with an app that gives me the fastest directions for driving, and I even try to gain a minute or two on that!

I chart a schedule that has felt like more a burden than a joyful road-map. I am working to change.

This song reminds me that rushing might be a part of human nature. Staying in the present moment takes intention and practice. Meditation and prayer are a way for me to slow down. Being intentional about what I plan to do and then being fully there for it.

Making music is a wonderful way to stay in the moment. My time spent each week with bells and the choir are joyful moments of being fully present. I concentrate my efforts there and am not thinking about other things during that time. It’s very beneficial for my brain and for my soul.

Studying Jesus’s words also keeps me in the now. In fact, I hear him calling me to be present with him and the time is now. Now is the time to change and live more like Jesus. Simply NOW. His teachings counsel me not to worry, to live fully this range of human experience. I hear that I am already enough and am loved, now.

Prayer: Thank you Jesus for the time to be fully present with you. Thank you for loving me as I am. Amen.

Read Mark 1 verse 15.
And listen to the song from Chicago!

Anne Sullivan

No comments: