Sunday, April 05, 2009

April 5, 2009 - Palm Sunday

What About Me?

Read: 2 Corinthians 11:3

Lately I have been feeling sorry for myself because of the trials and sorrows that I must deal with in my daily walk... It just isn't fair! This is not what life is supposed to be all about... This is not what being a Christian is all about! "God, why do I have to deal with all of this by myself? I thought you were there to help me and make my life easier?"

Many times, as I have experienced the peaks and valleys of my Christian walk, I tend to blame God for all of my trials and faults. This seems to be my human nature ... place the blame on another. As a Christian, I tend to place the blame on God! I am a Christian ... it must be God's fault now.

When I first accepted Jesus Christ as my Savior, I could not find enough ways or time to be in His presence. I remember when I participated with two churches, which would include attending three services on Sunday and an evening service on Wednesday. Oh, how I longed to be in His presence. Things couldn't have been worse in my life at that time (if you were looking from the outside in)! This is a time in my life that my eyes were focused on God. I did not take the time to worry about my life... I was focused on the life of Jesus Christ. I could not get enough...

I gave my life to Christ. I accepted the Camping Ministry as my life of service to Him and His children. Now, it was time for me to do my work! 22 years of camping and so much more work to do... Whoops, I seem to have lost focus! How did life make the turn so that everything was about me? Why do I suddenly feel like God should provide everything to suit me? Why do I feel like I should have everything ... and have it now?

Through my Devotions and Bible Study, God provided the answer... I had turned my eyes and focus away from Christ and onto me! Friends, I will never be perfect. I will always have faults, trials, and sorrow attached to my life. But, if my eyes are on Jesus Christ... I see God. I see the only perfect One.

It is not about me! It is not about now, the immediate gratification! It is all about God. It is all about His Glory. That is why I committed to serve Christ in the first place.

I would like to share with you a text from Oswald Chambers' "My Utmost For His Highest." His devotional helped me to get back on track... "Does everything in my life fill His heart with gladness, or do I constantly complain because things don't seem to be going my way? A person who has forgotten what God treasures will not be filled with joy."

Not too long ago, some of us shared a weekend together at Lake Louise. I can honestly say that my life was filled with joy. When I looked at you... I looked for God in you. When I served you, it was as unto the Lord. God treasures each and every one of you. As I do my work here at the camp, I will not forget you or our time together each and every year at Lake Louise.

Lord, each time I lose focus and start to question my life circumstances and expect that things should suit me... please help me to remember that "What About Me?" is the warning sign that I should be thinking "What About You!" Lord, help me to keep my focus upon you. Amen.

Dean Ozment (from March 14, 2003)

No comments: