Thursday, April 02, 2020

Thursday, April 2, 2020

Living in the Present

Read: Matthew 6:25-34

Sometimes I wish I was more like my dog, Jax. The main reason being that Jax lives in the present. He doesn't let circumstances from the past bother him. Jax doesn't hold a grudge – if he gets scolded for something (sometimes not even his fault), shortly after he's back at my side for a much enjoyed walk or just a loving touch.

How wonderful it would be if we all could practice such forgiveness. The past should not define our current life – it's not productive to play “what if” all the time. He also doesn't worry about the future. He's content to nap in the sunbeam on the living room floor or guard “his sidewalk” from those who dare to walk down it. A dear friend once called me the “Queen of Anticipation.” She was absolutely right – I have wasted a lot of time imagining worst case scenarios when faced with even a small crisis. Most of the time, a simple solution will present itself.

Jesus reminds us in this passage that ultimately we are in God's hands and need to place our trust in Him, which will ultimately make our lives much more fulfilling. So I'm going to work on trying to be more like Jax. Who couldn't use a nice nap in a sunbeam?

Prayer focus: all who worry too much

Sue DeWitt

No comments: