Thursday, April 09, 2020

Thursday, April 9, 2020 – Maundy Thursday

Exquisite Fragrance
(audio version)
In the Messiah, in Christ, God leads us from place to place in one perpetual victory parade. Through us, he brings knowledge of Christ. Everywhere we go, people breathe in the exquisite fragrance. Because of Christ, we give off a sweet scent rising to God, which is recognized by those on the way of salvation—an aroma redolent with life. But those on the way to destruction treat us more like the stench from a rotting corpse. – 2 Corinthians 2:14-16 (The Message Translation)


My mom made homemade bread every Friday. When I close my eyes, I can still smell that scrumptious hot bread as I walked into the kitchen after school on Fridays. The smell of hot bread reminds me of the love and laughter we shared around the table; hot bread, butter and the events of the day were a sweet scent rising to God.

Smell is a powerful sense. I imagine you too have smells that stir up pleasant memories. Perhaps, if you close your eyes, you will smell a new box of crayons, a certain perfume, a favorite dish, pipe tobacco, a certain place, wood shavings, or some other memory filled with an exquisite fragrance.

In Corinthians, Paul says we give off a sweet scent. We, who follow Jesus, are known by the scent of love that wafts from us as we share the love of Christ through our words and actions.

Lent is a time of self-examination and I think it is a good time to ask, how am I doing? Am I leaving the sweet scent of Christ’s love everywhere I go? If not, do I need to spend a little more time with Jesus and let the fragrance of His love infuse me so I can be an exquisite fragrance and a sweet smell to all I meet?

Prayer: Dear Jesus, may my words and actions leave the lingering exquisite fragrance of Your love with everyone I meet. AMEN.


Pam Wells (College Grove UMC)

No comments: