Tuesday, April 07, 2020

Tuesday, April 7, 2020

We Worship in this Beautiful Place
(audio version)
Read: 1 Corinthians 13:11-13

Okay, it's two days before the deadline and I haven't managed to write a Lenten devotion.  I'm at retreat with no readily available reference books, a sometimes sketchy internet connection, lots of people who are busy relaxing, and I've got no idea what to say.

As circumstances would have it, we have no ordained clergy with us this year so we have to design a meaningful worship service for tomorrow morning. I'm not naming names but I was sort of absorbed into a group of about six people who were working on the service.

"Faith, hope, and charity" is the theme. We've got a song:"The Bible Tells Me So."  That part is done.  Now we need a couple of hymns and a couple of scripture references. None of us is a scholar of biblical proportions (or scripture).  Sketchy Internet. How do we get this done?

As I write this, seven hours later, I don't remember exactly what we came up with.  I'll find out tomorrow morning.  What I do remember is that ideas started flowing, all tied to faith, hope, and charity.

Do I think that God, at that moment, directed our thoughts? Not necessarily, but I do think that our own faith journeys, the hope to do something meaningful, and our relationships with God led us in the right direction.

How'd the service go?  Was it meaningful?  You'll have to ask somebody who was there because it hasn't happened yet. 

Did we feel God's presence as we discussed possibilities?  That one I can answer: Yes.  God was with us in this beautiful place.

Fred Van de Putte

No comments: