Saturday, February 24, 2024

Saturday, February 24, 2024

In the Spirit of John Wesley

Read: Isaiah 55:6-9

Well Charlie, ya know, me bein’ me, I wanted to be the first to submit a Devotion written by an AI-Chatbot. For those who don’t yet know, that’s a computer with artificial intelligence, you can talk to it, and it’ll respond like a person. At first, I really didn’t like the idea of these things, they’ve been the Holy Grail of computer engineering since at least the 1970’s and now they’re here. Our oldest however, told me I better get on the bandwagon. Dave’s a genius and a senior engineer. He consults the wealthiest people in the world on how to solve their unique problems, because nobody else can. Over Christmas he got me going on this AI thing. Dave told me that he’s been using it to do a lot of his engineering work for a year now, and that in a few more years, most of the people in his field of engineering will be obsolete. He’s thinking his later career will not be engineering but teaching the remaining few how to use a robot to do engineering. Our oldest granddaughter, (The Golden Child๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š) who is an even higher-level genius, has been using this thing to help with her college work for a couple years now, and the colleges welcome it. Incidentally, last June she graduated High School. 2 weeks after, she graduated her first degree in College๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š. The volume of college work she gets done now with AI is astronomical.

I’ve been playing with it for a few weeks since they were all here at Christmas and I gotta tell ya, I’ve used it to teach myself how to do things I’ve always wanted to learn but just didn’t get to. It taught me things in a few minutes that would have taken me days to figure out on my own. I’ve gained skills in a very short time. It’s kinda cool. Problem is, so far, everything it's taught me is a commercially valuable skill, someone’s job, something a person could make a good living doing, but now they’re all things a robot can do for next to nothing. I’m just doing them for fun.

Soooooooo, when I got my much anticipated, eagerly awaited, annual request from Charlie, I thought, hmmmmm, let’s give it to the Robot and see what it can do. On a whim early one morning, I just gave it the instruction you see after “Ron” below. The result it gave me is the part after “ChatGPT” below.

 

Ron:
I need a devotional in the Methodist spirit of John Wesley. Something about our robotic world, a couple paragraphs will do.

ChatGPT:
In the spirit of John Wesley and the Methodist tradition, let us reflect on our increasingly robotic world. Just as Wesley emphasized the importance of connecting with God through intentional living and disciplined practices, we too can find spiritual meaning in the midst of technology.

In our modern age, where machines and algorithms seem to govern much of our daily lives, it becomes crucial to discern how we can maintain a deep and meaningful connection with our faith. Just as Wesley urged his followers to avoid complacency and seek genuine encounters with God, we can challenge ourselves to use technology in ways that align with our spiritual values.

Rather than succumbing to the automation of our existence, let us employ these tools as instruments for positive change and connection. In a world dominated by screens and artificial intelligence, may we strive to keep our hearts open to the divine presence, remembering Wesley's emphasis on personal and social holiness. As we navigate the complexities of our robotic world, let our actions be guided by love, compassion, and a commitment to building a more just and humane society.

End of ChatGPT output.

It did this in less than 4 seconds! I don’t know what my grandkids are gonna be doin’ for income when they grow up, but right now I’m thinkin’ it’s gonna be a lot more like what my grandparents did. Hmmmmm, now there’s seed for a whole new devotional, wonder if I should write it myself, or just let the robot do it...:)๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š

Have a great day everybody,

Ron Draper

No comments: