Tuesday, February 27, 2024

Tuesday, February 27, 2024

A Hymn of Promise, Verse 4

Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity. – Psalm 133:1

First, I must confess that the writing of a “simple” devotion creates anxiety for me. I am not blessed with creative writing ideas and skills. I tell myself that all I need is a simple story to share. Or I try to look at Bible verses and devotions and consider what life experiences I have had that would fit the thought. Other folks write lovely things that I appreciate and cherish. Personal frustration kicks in, so many years I just give up and write nothing. You would think I was a novelist with writer’s block.

That said, I came across a verse I wrote for Christopher and April (my son and daughter-in law) in 2017. It was sung by Chris’s aunt at their wedding celebration as an addition to the verses from the “Hymn of Promise.”

In a vow there is a promise,
In a lifetime a world to see.
With God’s love and assistance
In our lives, our hope will be.
Sharing all of it together,
What a glorious journey
Unrevealed until its season,
Something God alone can see.

Our GPUMC family shares this journey as well in so many ways. In the presence of God and with his guidance, together we worship, support each other in need, provide clothing, food, shelter, and funds to support disaster relief and the under-served, share the gift of reading, provide Christian education to our youth and adults through Sunday School, book studies, and VBS, as well as many fellowship groups (and so much more). We also stay connected on this journey through our newsletters, Facebook, and even YouTube for those who cannot be present. With God’s help what promises can we make in this Lenten season to share our journey of Christian love? What does God have planned for us next?

Prayer: Dear God,
With your guidance and in your time may we find ways to fulfill and share the promises we make to you, ourselves, and others. Amen.

Beth Blunden

No comments: