Wednesday, April 05, 2006

April 5, 2006

Find Faith in God's Presence

Read Luke 2:41-52

In the story of “The Boy Jesus in the Temple,” Jesus is twelve years old and he disappears for three days. His parents searched everywhere for him. When they found him, he was in the temple. His mother said, “Son, why have you done this to us? Your father and I have been very worried, and we have been searching for you!” Jesus answered, “Why did you have to look for me? Didn't you know that I would be in my Father's house?” His parents did not understand. Jesus became wise, and he grew strong. God was pleased with him, and so were the people.

Jesus had faith in God. From the start he knew where he belonged, in his father's house. What is faith? It's not belief, it's much more powerful. It is when we have confidence and trust in something, there is a complete absence of doubt. It is the internal notion of knowing it's going to be okay. Faith is powerful, but can be broken. Faith is our own true connection to God. How we receive or inhabit this connection is a different story.

Ever since I was little, I was pre-programmed to have this connection, but I'm the one who has to install it and be able to read the manual. When I was growing up, I had the children's Bible, went to Logos, and had the Jesus Loves Me, This I Know song permanently implanted in my brain. But when I was little, I don't believe I truly knew what God was. It was more like a subject in school; I learned about it, but never was able to use or truly understand the information. God was like a really good dessert, you don't know what exactly is in it, all you know is that it tastes of feels good. My prayers back then probably consisted of every Christmas present that I desired. “Dear God, please bring me Barbie and Ken, and their pink dream house.” But Christianity no longer has the same meaning to me. I finally have to establish my connection with God, although some people never establish their own connection. I have to find my lifeline to God.

Confirmation has directed me in the right direction. It's like I'm playing piñata blind-folded, confirmation has turned me so I'm facing the right way, but I have to take the swing. Jesus, when he was my age, established his connection to God by growing in wisdom, stature, spiritually, and socially (Luke 2:52). We can't match exactly Jesus' faith, but I feel I can be a follower, and grow by walking in his footsteps. I could grow in wisdom by reading the Bible and learning through other people such as pastors or followers of God. I could grow in stature by becoming stronger physically. I could grow spiritually by praying, by worship, and by taking sacraments. I could grow socially by being around others, and considering the needs of others. Doing these things I feel will raise me up a step higher to God.

Bringing myself closer to God will lead me into a Christian life, the kind of life I would like to live. Christ loves and makes sacrifices for us today, how could I not want to know him or be able to feel his presence? There is no greater human need than to feel connected spiritually to our Savior. Everyone is accessible to God, even if there is even nothing left, there will still be God; I would love to fully follow and receive Him. I will find my faith in God.

During the Christmas season, God should be most thought of. It was the birth of our only human form and truly seen form of God, Jesus. People seem to be distant from Jesus. People instead of worshiping, they become wrapped up in materialistic gifts. Jesus is replaced with Santa, and the three Kings' gifts are being replaced with an Xbox. No longer do people see the Star to Bethlehem. My wish at Christmas is that presents are replaced with God's presence. And the greatest gift of all should be God's presence. We are returned to God. Establishing my faith in God will lead me to his Glory.

Cassie Rickard

No comments: