Thursday, April 06, 2006

April 6, 2006

A Sacred Thing

Read 1 Corinthians 3:16

When my oldest brother died at age 44 many years ago, I started something that has given me a lot of comfort; I had his memorial service tape recorded. I did this so I could savor the words of comfort and admiration that were said at this lovely service.

And so it was on the first anniversary of my dad’s passing, a few months ago, that I pulled out the recording of his service. Worship services go fast many times but not as fast as a memorial service for someone you love. So I was taken back when I heard for the first time the parting words of the Unitarian minister at the end of my dad’s service. She said,

“Let us be confident that a human life is full of purpose and meaning. In life and in death a human life is a sacred thing. So be it.”

Well, the sense of this benediction is nothing new. As Christians we are admonished to appreciate everyone as a child of God. But out of a different mouth and to a certain extent out of a somewhat different religious tradition, these words rang true and provide comfort to me today

So I offer these words so they may provide comfort to you, too. So be it.

Vivian Anderson

No comments: