Thursday, February 21, 2013

February 21, 2013

MAKE A JOYFUL NOISE TO THE LORD

Read: Psalm 100

It has been said many times that those who sing pray twice. I sing in the choir for a number of reasons and that is one of them – at least that is my story and I am sticking to it. 
 
There is no question that I, with my tin ear, love the music we sing – the chords, the harmony, the dynamics, rhythms and all that goes into the music but the words in some of our music are exquisite, profound, sometimes just plain fun and other times highly emotional and moving. 
 
Recently we sang a piece with the words which were found written on the walls of a cellar in Cologne, Germany after World II.
I believe in the sun, even when it is not shining;
I believe in love, even when I feel it not:
I believe in God, even when He is silent”

Most of us can only feel awe when contemplating that kind of faith especially in the wrenching, dark times of war.
I have often thought that the congregation misses out on the experience of singing words like that and many times the words are sung fast and unfortunately not articulately enough that they are missed all together by the congregation. And yes once in a while the words are in the bulletin but that is rare. I have often thought we ought to change that.

So in the meantime come and sing with us and you too, can pray twice

P.S. Notice, folks, the psalm does not say that we all are going to sound wonderful when we sing but only that we be joyful. Making a trained bel canto sound is what we all strive for but that sound is not essential. Oh, but yes, you do need to pay attention to Patti G because she puts it all together and makes it happen on Sunday a.m. Her talents and those of Charles are a true gift to our congregation

Vivian Anderson

No comments: