Friday, February 22, 2013

February 22, 2013

Renewing Our Spirit

Create in me a clean heart, O Lord my God
And renew a right spirit in me.
Cast me not away from thy presence, O Lord
Take not thy Holy Spirit from me
Restore to me the joy of thy salvation
And renew a right spirit within me.
Psalm51, Verses 10-12

There is a musical arrangement of these words which I have long misplaced, but when I was younger my sister and would sing it at church as a duet. It’s one song that can literally get stuck in my head on any given day—and I don’t mind. It’s a prayer that helps me focus on God and reminds me that I need Him, His love and His salvation.

Lent is a time of preparing and renewing our hearts and minds for Christ. Most prepare through sacrifice and meditation. One thing I’ve decided to sacrifice for Lent this year is my habit of procrastination. Specifically, my delay in saying thanks to a few people I know. Two years ago, I made a mental list of the people who were important influences during the younger years of my life and I told myself I was going to write them each a thank you note. Since my list is fairly short, I’m hoping and praying that I will be able to silence the ‘busyness’ of life for a few minutes each day to focus on this task.

This list includes people from different cities, states and backgrounds, but their belief and faith in God left a lasting impression on me. I’m pretty sure some of them don’t even realize how much they helped steer me in the right direction spiritually. But I’m hoping a small, simple thank you will brighten their day and bring a renewed spirit to them.

Say ‘thank you’ to someone today and lift their spirits.

Kristy Irrer

No comments: