Wednesday, April 09, 2014

April 09, 2014

Helping the Weak

In all things I have shown you that by working hard in this way we must help the weak and remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he himself said, “It is more blessed to give than to receive.” – Acts 20:35

In the course of our nearly 30-year marriage, Greg and I have enjoyed the companionship of four dogs. While each of them has shown great devotion to me – making a fuss when I get home, staying by my side when I’m sick, and so on – Greg clearly claims a slightly larger space in their doggy hearts.

They favor Greg despite the fact that, in every case, I’m the one who was responsible for them coming to live with us. I found Jerry, our abused lab/shepherd mix, in a newspaper ad. I nudged Greg to adopt Jessie, a hound/shepherd who was being fostered by a friend. I found Byron, our older Lab, at the Dearborn Animal Shelter through Petfinder.com and insisted that Greg go to the shelter to meet him.

And we adopted our younger Lab, Bernie, after I hauled Greg and Byron to the Dearborn Animal Shelter to meet a beagle. She hated Byron on the spot, and so did a second female dog that I asked to see. Greg and Byron were ready to leave, but I asked if they had anyone else, and they brought out Bernie (then Air Force), a big black Lab with an ugly open wound on his backside. After sniffing each other out, Bernie plopped down beside Byron, and they were fast friends.

Over the years, I have purchased most of the dog food, treats and toys. Yet when Greg and I come home together, they circle around Greg, tails wagging, barely acknowledging me.

Is it because they consider Greg the master of the house? Maybe, but if I think about it, Greg is the one who gets up early to walk them, and then feed them.

Where I’m inclined to send them to the backyard in rain or snow, Greg invariably walks them at least around the block. The dogs love exploring the neighborhood and checking out every bush and fire hydrant.

Greg honors their need for daily exercise and faithfully walks them day after day, week after week, year after year.

Kathy Gardner

No comments: