Friday, April 18, 2014

April 18, 2014 – Good Friday

The Garden

Read or Sing UMH #314

"The Garden" by Paul C Thomas

The gowned woman rises, and it may be her last
Her sons have her arms, and she thinks of her past
Her husband has gone, perhaps he’s above
If not watching, then knowing, and sending his love
For the pain that she feels in the depths of her bones
And the fury it’s wrought, bringing only hushed moans
That her family has heard, throughout her long course
But she remains steadfast and, a radiant force
Of wisdom and will and elegance and grace
Something that illness could never erase
Her resolve was unmatched when facing her cancer
That physicians and scientists couldn’t quite answer
Not with drugs or blades or technique refined
She’s been pressed by disease that’s not yet defined
Yet she says to her boys, “one more stroll through the garden
One last breath of fresh air, ‘fore I’m granted my pardon”
And they walk with her earnestly, giving their strength
Their love, their blessing, their unending thanks
To this woman who stands hunched, yet taller than ever
Who’s carried her dignity throughout this endeavor
And once in the garden, she sits down to rest
I’ve seen, I’ve lived, I’ve given my best”
And the men understand, what’s spoken is true
And their eyes now have tears, like the petals have dew

"… And He walks with me and He talks with me and He tells me I am His own; and the joy we share as we tarry there, no other has ever known."

No comments: