Tuesday, April 04, 2017

April 04, 2017

Why Me Why – Part 4
The two most important days in anyone’s life are the day you’re born, and the day you find out why. (Mark Twain)

I heard this story so long ago, I don’t remember where or even from whom, but it stuck with me and I think it appropriate now.

The doctor specialized in pediatric heart conditions. He was good, very good. He was the kind of person so single-mindedly focused on his vocation that he rarely concentrated on anything else. Outside his practice, he had few friends, he was so focused he didn’t have time for trivial conversations, certainly not a spouse, this man was an island. He was a man of science. He had the kind of confidence in himself that a surgeon needs. He knew he could cut to cure, and he knew the science would work. He was so good, he didn’t have any need or time for God, his work would do the trick, and for the most part it did. Every now and again though, something would happen that he couldn’t explain with his science alone. As they used to say at GM, “warrants further study.”

One day a case came along where a little boy was not responding to treatment. Despite his best efforts, the boy continued to get worse, all the things that had cured the same ailment in the past wouldn’t work for this one. Through the weeks of failed attempts the boy always assured the doctor not to worry, “You do your job, and I’ll do mine.”

After the boy’s funeral, the doctor in desperation went to the nearest church, walked up to the altar and cried to God for an answer. The Lord answered with a question, “Where have you been?” He replied, “I’ve been down here saving people, children, babies! I’ve been doing your job!!” God asked another question, “Do you really think you did it all by yourself?”

“Of course, I did! I’ve studied my whole life, I’ve practiced for years, I’ve worked day and night without food or rest until my job was done!”

“All that is as I wanted it to be, I made all of you with a purpose.”

“Of all the rotten people in this world, why did you have to take an innocent child?!?”

“Because his job was done so it was time for him to be with me.”

“He was just a kid! What job could he have possibly done?!?”

The Lord said, “You see, I sent the boy to bring You to Me. His job is done, and now yours is about to begin...”

Please join me in praying that in time all of our jobs will be revealed, and for those in need to find some comfort.

Ron Draper

No comments: