Monday, April 10, 2017

April 10, 2017

Our Daily Bread
“Give us this day our daily bread.” - Matthew 6:11 (NRSV)


Each Sunday it is uplifting to me when we pray the Lord’s Prayer. Just imagine being with Jesus and being taught the Lord’s Prayer. The verse “Give us this day our daily bread,” has a dual meaning for me. Why “daily” bread? One meaning of this request is that God will sustain us physically with our daily needs. In one form or another, bread is a recurring symbol of life in the Bible because it was a staple food of ancient times. Another meaning, that the disciples would have understood, was that the daily bread was a reference to manna, the bread from heaven for God’s people wandering and worshiping in the wilderness for 40 years. Manna came down from heaven each day for six days in a row but not on the seventh. A double portion was to be gathered on the sixth day for a daily portion to be used on the seventh day, the Sabbath.

In John 6:51, Jesus refers to Himself, "I am the living bread that came down from heaven. Whoever eats of this bread will live forever; and the bread that I will give for the life of the world is my flesh."

By praying and receiving my “Daily Bread,” I am given not only physical needs but the very blessings of being in Christ whose Bread sustains my soul.

Trusting in God to supply my physical and spiritual needs one day at a time,
Denver Higley

No comments: