Thursday, April 06, 2023

April 6, 2023 – Maundy Thursday

A Gift of Life

Proverbs 11:25 “A generous person will prosper; whoever refreshes others will be refreshed.”

I used to think the Red Cross was exaggerating with its dire messages about the shortage of blood. That was before I sat with Greg at St. John’s in December, hours ticking by, waiting for the Blood Bank to locate his blood type and the antibodies they needed to add to the donated blood.

Greg has a blood disorder and has had a number of lifesaving transfusions since October. It is always a scramble to get the special combination of blood and antibodies that he needs to bring his hemoglobin to a more manageable level.

Before the pandemic, I participated in the blood drives at work – both convenient and a break from my workday, with cookies as a reward. Now, I am grateful to be able to donate at our church, which has hosted drives for a long as I can remember. Bonus: I get to visit with my church friends while I’m eating the cookies.

Many members who volunteer at the blood drives also donate while they are there. Some of the donors don’t go to our church, so the drive is an opportunity for them to get to know us. Invariably, some folks who try to donate are screened out for one reason or another.

When I sit with Greg as he gets a transfusion, I am overwhelmed with gratitude for all of these generous souls – those who volunteer, those who donate, and those who try to donate. The willingness to help strangers fills me with hope when hope is often in short supply.

Thank you so, so much.

A prayer for blood donors:

May the blood that I am about to donate,
Help those who are in need,
To fight disease,
Provide nourishment,
And carry oxygen to their vital organs,
to sustain life and prevent death.

Kathy Gardner

No comments: