Saturday, March 23, 2013

March 23, 2013

Don't it Always Seem to Go …?

Read: UM Hymnal #140, verse 3  (link warning - the hymn will start to play automatically)

There’s an old saying, “count your blessings”. Well, I think that’s just about impossible, because there’s so many.

As many of you know, the past year has been a difficult one for me. In February 2012, I had a bad fall and sustained a severe concussion from which I am still trying to recover. What once was easy for me now requires great effort and many of my activities have been suspended. Although this process has been hard, it has given me a lot of time for reflection.

We are given so many blessings by God that sometimes we take them for granted. I guess it seems kind of odd that loss makes you appreciate things more, but it is true. One of the greatest blessings for me has been the love and support of my husband, David. This man took his vows seriously when we married – especially the part about “in sickness”. He has constantly and consistently helped me through what has been (as yet) the greatest struggle of my life. He has taken on many extra tasks without complaint, been my cheerleader when I’m down, pushed me a little when I needed it and always “had my back”.

Another blessing has been the caring love of my children. It was very hard for me to relinquish the mother role and let them help and care for me, but they have each done an admirable job in their support.

I am so blessed to have a church family that has cared for me in so many ways, not only through their prayers, but countless acts of kindness. God has surrounded me with love made manifest through those around me, and it took an unfortunate experience for me to realize it – maybe that’s a blessing too.


I can’t let a devotion go on without mention of our dog, Toby. A former minister once told me that dogs are "just animals”. At the risk of offending some, I beg to differ. Our quirky dog has made us laugh at his antics, given me a reason to get out and walk every day, seems to sense when I’m down and been at my side through this trial. I think he’s also God’s blessing to us.

Prayer: Dear Lord, give us the courage to face life’s challenges, knowing You will always be at our side. Thank you for the countless blessings in our daily lives.

Sue DeWitt

No comments: