Tuesday, March 26, 2013

March 26, 2013

Brushstrokes

Read: Psalm 19

An artist named Helen Frankenthaler was quoted saying, "A picture that is beautiful or that works looks as if it was all made at one stroke. I don't like to see the trail of a brushstroke or a drip of paint."

I disagree. Brushstrokes are a big part of the beauty to me. They tell so much about the process, the journey. I went to the DIA looking for some inspiration and some help with a project. By studying a Matisse painting and looking specifically for the brushstrokes, I got a personal lesson from Matisse himself. In fact from that point on I discovered brushstrokes (and yes even drips) in many paintings ‑ each one a lesson in technique and paint thickness.

A pure blue sky can be beautiful in its simplicity, but I like to see God's brushstrokes dragging the clouds from one place to another. God's amazing sky paintings can come naturally from the clouds, but even a jet plane striping the pale blue canvas is a reminder of the beauty and wonder of all of God's gifts. How much more beautiful is a sunset when there are bold strokes of clouds across the sky.

On our own faces we can see the brushstrokes of our lives. When I look in the mirror and see lines around my eyes, I try to remember all the good reasons I smiled so much to make them ‑ or even the beautiful sunny days that made me squint (and yes gave me the sunburns to add to the wrinkles). Instead of seeing imperfection and aging, I need to embrace the brushstrokes and be grateful for all the things that made them.


Personally I like brushstrokes in a painting. They let us into the artist's mind and they show us the creative process. I like the brushstrokes in nature too. They show us God's creative process. I'm trying to like the brushstrokes I see in my mirror. They are evidence of God's gifts to me and God's work through me.

Dear God, Thank you for the beauty you have given us. Thank you for the evidence that you are at work in our lives. Thank you for all the brushstrokes. Amen.

Jacki Rumpp

Look for God's brushstrokes in your life.

No comments: