Monday, March 25, 2013

March 25, 2013

As a Child I Spoke as a Child

Read: Psalm 139

When we were youngsters and leaving the house, my mother would call out “Remember God is with you.” My oldest brother, Jim, would leave for the “High,” Jack to Pierce Junior High, and I to Trombley Elementary, all exiting at different times, but each would hear Mom's refrain of “God's with you.” To me it was a feeling that I was safe or being watched over and protected. For Jim and Jack, it probably conjured up “be good or else.”

One Spring morning it was sunny and warm out. I did not even need a coat. A sweater jacket for a wrap would do just fine. As I was walking, I pondered on where God would be that day – in my pocket, on my shoulder, or maybe in my lunch box? I decided that He was probably on my shoulder, as it was so nice out. (As you can see, I really had an imagination!) At recess that afternoon we played baseball. Roger hit the ball and it came right to me. I held up my two hands to catch it, but alas it slipped through and skimmed my shoulder... the one that I was sure God was sitting on. I started to cry, believing that God had been hit for sure. Neither Miss King, my teacher, nor Miss Coe, the Principal, could understand that the pain was in my heart and not my shoulder. The Principal ended up walking me the short half block to my home and my mother.

After Miss Coe left, I related the story to my Mommy, telling her about the ball, my shoulder, and God. I remember saying, “I couldn't see Him to help Him.” My mother smiled and assured me that God was very wise and all-knowing, and probably knew just where that flying ball was headed, and was out of harm's way. Her words – plus the milk and cooky – relieved my anxiety almost immediately.

Well, I guess what I'm trying to convey in this short tale is that I'm thankful for a wise, alert God, and for mothers with their wise words of wisdom.

Jean Buhler

No comments: