Friday, February 16, 2018

February 16, 2018

The Walk

Read: Deuteronomy 6:4-9

One of the great things about living close to church is that it gives me the opportunity to walk.

This blessing gives me time to read or pray as I walk. On more than one occasion my mind goes to the idea of a “journey of life.” Thoughts of past, present, and future sometime flood into my mind which feels like it is going a mile a minute. I remember back in my Biblical Greek class the word for walk, pateo, and how it can mean “a walk of life,” a journey. On my walk to church I meet people along the sidewalk, I see cars driving past, and I see God’s creatures on their own separate journeys. On my walk, I pass by a cemetery on Moross, which reminds me that this mortal journey will end. I think of loved ones who have passed and it makes me sad. Yet, the crosses in the cemetery and seeing our church in the distance reminds me of what is to come, life eternal. I get to have a resurrected life because of Easter morning’s miracle, and that brings back my joy! I think of the metamorphosis that has happened on this journey because of Jesus walking with me, and I am grateful.

As we journey towards Easter morning, I am reminded that on this walk with Jesus, I will meet people along the sidewalk, I will see them on their journey’s, and I get to see the beauty of God’s creation. This life is such a precious gift and the gift grows as we understand pateo, as “a way of wisdom.” As we journey towards the resurrection, my prayer is that on this journey we will be able to see God walking alongside us, that the wisdom of God’s ways would cover us, and that God’s love would continue to grow us.



Prayer: God help me see you in this walk of life. Give me wisdom as I walk in your ways. Remind me that you are always with me, I need you. Amen.

Rev. Keith Lenard, Jr.

No comments: