Monday, February 26, 2018

February 26, 2018

The Earth is the Lord’s

I come to the garden alone,
While the dew is still on the roses;
And the voice I hear, falling on my ear,
The Son of God discloses.

And He walks with me, and He talks with me,
And He tells me I am His own,
And the joy we share as we tarry there,
None other has ever known.
   – C. Austin Miles, UMH #314

Having loved this song since I began gardening as a child, every morning as I walk through my flower beds, I feel close to God. The beauty of the dew-covered petals reflected in the morning light is inspiring and brings me great joy and peace as the birds provide their chorus in the background. Surely this is a glimpse of Heaven on Earth. But how are we doing with this beautiful gift God has given us?

Psalm 24 reminds us that, “The Earth is the Lord’s and everything in it.” God’s Holy Vision is we are to have a relationship with him, each other and his creation. We forget that what happens to one affects the other too. Scientists know that the molecules that make up our bodies also make up the bodies of all living things that are found in the Earth. Earth is a part of our DNA. Adam was made from the earth as were all the creatures of the Earth. We live as if the Earth belongs to us to do what we want with it.

God’s creation is in crisis because of greed, selfishness, and apathy. Our neglect, selfishness, profit motivation, and pride have led to poverty and disease; environmental degradation and proliferation of weapons; and violence. II Chronicles 7:14 says “If my people who are called by my name humble themselves, pray, seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven, and I will forgive their sins and heal their land.”

Our Bishops since 2004 are calling for Hope and Action for Renewal of God’s Creation.

Their Prayer: May God’s grace purify our reason, strengthen our will, and guide our actions. May the love of God, the peace of Christ, and the power of the Holy Spirit be among you, everywhere and always, so that you may be a blessing to all creation and all the children of God, making peace, nurturing and practicing hope, choosing life and coming to eternal life. Amen

Karen Bromley

No comments: