Wednesday, February 28, 2018

February 28, 2018

Serving in Little Ways

Read Matthew 25:21 “His master replied, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master’s happiness “

Last Sunday Pastor Ray talked about hearing your call and making a difference in the world. I thought about that a lot and went home feeling a little down because I don't feel that I am making a difference in the world. I'm not a teacher or preacher or healthcare worker; careers that mold, change and save lives. I don't work for a not for profit or newspaper; organizations that can impact real change. That is not to say that being a CPA in a large firm isn't great work but I don’t recall ever leaving work feeling like I made a difference in the world.

It was in this uninspired state last Sunday I attempted to write a devotion. Usually I have notes from throughout the year to remind me of things I can write about when Charlie make the plea. But 2017 was a really busy for our family and I had no notes. I wanted to participate and was feeling time pressure so I put together a "devotion" that was a very impersonal. It was something I have seen several times on the internet. I sent it to Charlie with a note to only use if he was desperate for content and I would not be at all offended for it to make its way to the trash file on his computer. He replied back that every devotion is worth keeping but that he had a feeling I would find some inspiration this week. So I re-listened to Ray's sermon and heard a different message. He reminded us that we gather to worship and scatter to serve. With that in mind I decided to pay attention during the week for the opportunities God gives me to serve and in this past week . . .

I had the opportunity to serve a liturgist thanks to our Worship and Music Committee and Pat Stewart who puts that schedule together.

I had the opportunity to tie a knot and pray for someone I do not know thanks to the United Methodist Woman and Anne Sullivan one of our Stevens Ministers.

I had the opportunity to take a meal to a church member and friend who is ill thanks to Lisa Sicklesteel who organized the sign up wizard.

I had the opportunity to donate blood thanks to our churches long time commitment to the Red Cross Blood Drive which keep that great need top of mind.

I had the opportunity to attend a Bible Study and discuss the story of Jesus and the Samaritan woman at the well with several woman of our church that I admire for their spirituality and tireless service thanks to Karen Bromley and Daphne Coffman's organizations and leadership.
I had the opportunity to host a small group to paint empty bowls for Cass thanks to the Outreach Committee and Beth Blunden and Joan Richardson's help

And because of Charlie van Becelaere's commitment to the Lenten Devotion book and his encouragement last Sunday I realized something. I can continue to listen for God's call in my life and in the meantime I can continue to serve Him through all the opportunities available thanks all the people around me that gather to worship and scatter to serve.

Prayer for the Day: Thank You for the blessing of the men and women of GPUMC in my life and for the opportunity to be Your servant in so many little ways.

Cathy Lorenz

No comments: