Thursday, February 22, 2018

February 22, 2018

Dear Church Family,

Read: Matthew 28:20

I am writing this as 2017 comes to a close. My life took an unexpected turn in September and October when my husband Leonard was hospitalized, diagnosed with a brain tumor, had surgery, suffered multiple complications, and finally was unable to keep fighting and passed away. Through all of this our church family supported us with an outpouring of love and faith and prayer. We couldn’t have done it without our pastors, our church’s medical professionals, and our friends in faith.

During the initial shock, the women of the church swung into action. Food was delivered, notes of support and cards arrived, visits were made to home and hospital, text messages were sent, and Leonard received a prayer quilt. He slept under the quilt each day in the hospital and now I sleep under it every night. Our family was surrounded by prayers and good wishes and offers of help.

As the journey continued, so did the uplifting support from our church. Any time we needed food it miraculously appeared – UMW is wonderful at bringing meals and desserts and all of it given with love and concern. Medical decisions were made easier by the support from our many doctors and nurses and ministers who took time to be with us as we struggled with so much bad news. My daughter-in-law (the other Katie See) commented on the fact that at every crisis someone we knew was there to help. Each of those people was someone from GPUMC. I can’t imagine going through this without each of you and your support and prayers.
The funeral was warm and caring and personal. Our family was comforted and healed as we were surrounded by the love of friends and cared for by our church.

Your kindness continues as I struggle to find a “new normal.” You touch me or hug me at church, include me in your family activities, and allow me to begin to give back to others the love I have received from you. The importance of the women of our church has never been more evident or more crucial in my life. Many years ago Carol Davey, a UMW officer and friend, asked me to take a position with UMW. After much thought I said yes. I wish I could thank her for the gift of the friends I have made with the women of our church. Yesterday at church I looked at the dedication in the front of the hymnal. “In memory of Carol Davey.” God speaks to us in many ways.

As we begin a New Year, I am finding ways to live one day at a time and keep putting one foot in front of the other. You continue to give me the freedom to cry and the opportunity to laugh. I want to thank every one of you for the many acts of love and kindness that have helped me through each day and night.

“The Best of all is, God is with us.” - John Wesley
Bertie See

No comments: