Wednesday, March 30, 2022

March 30, 2022

Kindness to Others

From the time I was a young child, I heard my parents and teachers (nuns) tell about the importance of kindness to others. I believe I was a kind person but I know I didn’t necessarily go out of my way to truly help others in need. One day, when I was in my 40’s, my oldest brother told me about a great book he had read entitled “Random Acts of Kindness.” I was curious and bought the book. It fascinated me to learn of the things people did to be kind to others. These acts of kindness ranged from something as small as putting money in someone else’s parking meter to taking in a poor family for the night when their car broke down on the side of the highway and they had to wait until the next day to get it fixed.

Something changed within me and I decided I wanted to be one of those people that makes a difference in other people’s lives, even if it’s just a passing smile. Who doesn’t appreciate a smile? Well, actually, my children thought I smiled too much and that few people ever returned the smile. “Oh well,” I said, “I’m going to keep doing it anyway.” I started to be more aware of others I pass by in life and tried to help when I could. One of the best ways I have found to be helpful to others is to take off those blinders. The ones we put on when we don’t want to get involved in something such as a mother screaming at and/or hitting her child. Stay and make sure that child is not in harm’s way. There are so many things we can do in a day to be kind to others.

“Contribute to the needs of God’s people and welcome strangers into your home.” – Romans 12:13

“Don’t forget to do good and to share what you have because God is pleased with these kinds of sacrifices.” – Hebrews 13:16

I wish you luck as you continue on your “kindness journey” and I know you will reap the rewards deep within your soul.

Sara Sessions

No comments: