Monday, March 07, 2022

March 7, 2022

Home Again

Read: Hebrews 10:24-25

After the disruptions of the last two years, many of us have felt locked out of our houses of worship and disconnected from our faith's journey.

I am immensely grateful that Grosse Pointe United Methodist Church has remained "a place to worship, share and grow in Christian fellowship,” as the welcoming pew brochure states.

I have entered the back door of GPUMC on many occasions, from the early days of the mother's day out program, to my years as a preschool co-op parent, zumba dancer,
and as a close family friend with the Froggett and Kafarski families.

My family and some of our friends were welcomed at the beautiful garden services the Summer of 2020, and in the sanctuary when it grew chilly that Fall. And GPUMC has continued to welcome us and offer fellowship opportunities we had been missing in our faith life. Most recently I was able to work with a wonderful group of adults and children as a Bible school leader, enjoying fellowship and a beautiful summer under our "Amour of God" tent!

I was honored in late Fall to present a 3rd grader with her GPUMC Bible. When Emily said in her chancel chat, "I am sure we all remember when we got our first Bible," my heart filled with joy as I remember receiving mine from First Methodist Church in Troy. I went home that day and opened my Father's Bible which was given to him by Emmanuel Methodist Church in Eastpointe in 1947.

I knew that I was home again, and eager to see what 2022 will bring in a church that is still alive and rejoicing!

One of my great heroes of our Protestant faith is German theologian and martyr Dietrich Bonhoeffer. This quote is from his book "Life Together: The Classic Exploration of Christian Community."

"The church does not need brilliant personalities but faithful servants of Jesus and the bethren."

These past two years, virtual church or no church at all, has renewed the joy of worship with others and sharing the Good News of Jesus Christ.

Faith is not a solo project, it is a group project and one I am excited to be a part of in the year 2022 and beyond at GPUMC.

Amy Sanford

No comments: