Friday, March 04, 2022

March 4, 2022

Focusing on My Blessings

There is no one who has not been impacted by the COVID-19 Pandemic that started here in 2020. What an obvious statement. I do not journal but found myself after the new year needing to write down the many thoughts that I had repetitively circling in my head. I was anxious about putting down in words all the negative things that had happened over the past year. Much to my surprise however, I discovered that my list of blessings and positive things was nearly double the lists of negative and mixed blessings! While family losses were sorrowful, paths stressful and health issues permeated there were also celebrations of solidifying career paths, new relationships building, and health issues resolved.

I not only reflected on personal events in my ponderings, but also GPUMC family happenings. Yes, we have been apart for nearly a year (other than small gatherings) and that is truly sad but consider the wonderful things we have done. In 2020 for the first time GPUMC hosted the Rotating Homeless Shelter and with modifications will host another week this season. The NOAH Project received 600 full bag lunches. The Scott Center of Cass received a luncheon for the homeless. The call for saving lives is greater than ever and many have helped or given blood at one of the three American Red Cross drives that GPUMC graciously hosted. There was also the call of the hungry. Immanuel UMC called out for increased support of their food pantry as the families with job losses suddenly grew. Since March of 2020, our church family (and some of them challenged their neighbors and friends too) has generously provided groceries and funds to help feed what is now up to 130 families. This call also has no end. See what can still be done while we are apart to help others in need as we care called to do.

I pray each of us has also taken moments to reflect on not just the losses we have suffered, but also the blessings and joys. Jesus suffered and sacrificed for us so that we might be saved. May we continue to not just focus on ourselves but continue to show in our actions compassion for others.

If you are generous with the hungry and start giving yourselves to the down-and-out, your lives will begin to glow in the darkness, your shadowed lives will be bathed in sunlight. - Isaiah 58:10

Beth Blunden
(note – this devotion was intended for last year’s book, but it hid in my email until after the books were printed. Sorry about that, Beth!)

No comments: