Wednesday, March 15, 2006

March 15, 2006

Glad to Return the Favor

To most of my friends, I used to joke, "I'm spoiled, but without the bad attitude,” whenever my parents got me something really nice and or did something really nice for me.

My parents are very generous, not just to me and my sister, but to everyone; and not just with money, but with their time, bodies, and hearts. So one weekend night, as thoughts were flying through my head while I attempted to go to sleep, one final thought swept through my brain as I pulled my covers over me, "Spoiled without the 'tude is called lucky. Lucky is what I am." Now don't get me wrong, I've always known I've been lucky for so many things in my life, for my life; however, it is one thing to impress upon yourself and others just how lucky you are, it is entirely another to impress it upon those who are responsible for making you that way.

Lucky is certainly the word for it.

So very, very lucky. Lucky that my parents are so caring for everyone and each other. Lucky that they love me and my sister. Lucky because they are my parents. Lucky that I notice this all. I'm lucky because I am grateful. And all I have to do to return the favor is be happy (and give my mother grandkids someday... :) )

So to all the parents and grandparents who make us lucky, to all the people who love and make people feel lucky, thank you; some of us may not have had our bed-time epiphanies giving us the strength or words to say it, but we know we are lucky for having you in our lives and we're glad to return the favor.

May luck be with you all,
Emily Stowell

No comments: