Friday, March 24, 2006

March 24, 2006

An Owner's Manual

Read Psalm 46

I have often heard people say that kids don’t come with an owner’s manual. It would be nice if they did. There are lots of books out there, but how can something so general help you with your child? I have a book I’m reading that somebody recognized my need for a few years before I did. I’m glad I finally pulled it out because it feels as if it is an owner’s manual for one of my kids. This seems like the exact book for her make and model – although probably not the same year. I am very glad for the book’s help.

I have also recently had a need for my car’s owner’s manual. They have found amazing hiding places for spare tires now. I was certainly glad for that book’s help (even though I did call in reinforcements). Thankfully there’s an index that is user friendly. I don’t know about you, but I don’t find a car owner’s manual light reading.

So what about life in general? There are lots of self-help books, but those don’t really guide us through life’s ups and downs. There is a song I like where a mother is sending her daughter off into the world. She reminds her, “Before you hit the highway, you better stop for gas, and there’s a 50 in the ashtray in case you run short on cash. Here’s a map and here’s a Bible, if you ever lose your way.” The Bible – I have been resisting reading it for the same reason I have resisted reading my car owner’s manual. They are both intimidating. I have come to the conclusion though that the Bible will turn out to be the best owner’s manual for my life. I have used the index (concordance) in mine to look up specific issues. I also have looked over the highlighted words, like in textbooks and manuals, for quick reference. My Bible has everything Jesus said highlighted in red. So in fact it has a striking similarity to my car’s manual. I began reading a Children’s Bible, which is written in a story format. I find myself not only enjoying it, but reading well past my intended stopping point. While the index and highlighted parts might help me with a specific need, it’s also nice to get the rest of the story – my history. I’m glad for The Book’s help. So I guess I do have an owner’s manual for my life. I need to remember to use it more often – not just for troubleshooting. Now if only car manufacturers would add stories to their manuals…

Prayer for the day: Dear God, thank you for your written word. On days when I may not be able to hear your answers, help me to remember to look for them written down. Amen.

Thought for the day: Look it up! You’ll remember it better.

Jacki Rumpp

No comments: