Friday, March 31, 2006

March 31, 2006

Ironed Sheets

Read 1 Thessalonians 5:16-17. Always be joyful and never stop praying.

I iron my sheets. Oh, I know no one can believe that I do this. Even Henrietta McInally once said to me (when I mentioned it), “Oh, Marianne, you don't!”

It probably goes back to the fact that my mother ironed sheets even before she had a mangle. Early memories of coming home from school to see my mother standing (ironing boards were not adjustable) ironing and listening to Ernie Harwell broadcasting Tiger games will never leave me. Ironing was a real chore then. As a child, my mother used several irons which were heated on a wood stove to iron clothes, so an electric iron was a great improvement.

Later washing machines were not automatic. Clothes were washed and put through a wringer for two rinses, then once again through a wringer and hung on a line outside during warm weather, or in a basement in cold weather.

My mother ironed at least 14 white shirts each week for my father and brother. These were dipped in starch after the last rinse and put through the wringer before they were hung up to dry. Before ironing, they were sprinkled with water, rolled in a ball, and placed in the refrigerator before ironing. Keeping up a house was a lot different too. Lots of work and hours went into cooking breakfast every day, packing lunches and preparing varied and healthful dinners. We always ate dinner together. We were blessed with a Christian home and family.

But back to ironing. There was a list which my mother kept near the ironing board. It was her prayer list, and I know she often prayed for our family, church, friends, missionaries, and other concerns. The King James Version says, “Pray without ceasing.” I think it means whenever you think about something that needs prayer – pray even when ironing.

I know there are many in this church who pray daily and often even with a prayer list. When I wasn't feeling the best, I received a phone call from a dear friend who said, “Don't call me back. I just wanted you to know I am praying for you.” How fortunate we are to have friends who never cease to pray.

Marianne Kiess

No comments: