Thursday, March 13, 2008

March 13, 2008

Growing in our Faith

Read Numbers 6:22-27, 1Corinthians 12:12-13, 26-31

I was at first a bit nervous when asked to reflect upon my faith and how the church has influenced my life. When we first started attending services at GPUMC I was feeling a bit guilty. Being brought up Catholic, I thought my Mother would be rolling in her grave. Then another member approached me during the fellowship hour and said that if it wasn't for the ex-Catholics this church wouldn't be so large. As the weeks passed I felt welcomed and fascinated at how the church family worked. The church was not run by the Pastors but by the people. The Pastors keep us centered and guided but we are in charge of all the wonderful things that are done here.

Over the past five years I have seen an amazing growth in faith in myself and my entire family! Steve, my husband and rock, has read the entire Bible twice! (Including the book of Numbers!) He glows when he talks of the senior high work camp mission trip. My 15 year old son, Mitch, has made some incredible friends and memories with the youth group thanks to Charlie and Heidi. And I continue to hope and pray that Lindsay, 12, will have the same wonderful memories of church as she continues her faith journey. My only memories of church when I was young was a long ride to 1PM mass at St. Mary's church. My Dad dropping us off in front, saying he would be in and he has heard enough sermons in his life. I love listening to our pastors' sermons; they bring the Bible to daily life and I especially love it when my kids comment on the sermon at brunch. Yes they get it!!!!

As I sit behind the altar with the choir each week, I look from my perch at all the wonderful people in our congregation. I know that these people make a big difference in the world. I know that one day very soon my kids will be off at college and I will have more time to be more involved with all the wonderful people and projects at GPUMC.

May the Lord Bless Us and Keep Us.


Gail Makos

No comments: