Thursday, March 11, 2010

March 11, 2010

What About Your “Wonderful Life”?

Read Ephesians 2:4-10

Over the years I’ve realized that inspiration comes from a wide variety of sources, some expected and some not at all so. As well, I’ve found myself remarkably touched by things both extraordinary and everyday. For these experiences I am always grateful, for I believe God uses any and all persons (and their attendant means) willing to channel a message of divine love and grace into a world not largely attuned to it.
I have at home a collection of films that are popularly associated with Christmas. Some of my favorites are Frank Capra’s “It’s a Wonderful Life,” and the various movies based on Charles Dickens’ “A Christmas Carol” (about which I wrote in these pages a couple years ago). The former, as most of you probably know, is the story of the fictional George Bailey who, finding himself at the end of his rope, wished he’d never been born. His guardian angel (Clarence) was able to allow George to see what life in Bedford Falls would be like if this indeed were the case. Having come to his senses, he realized what a wonderful gift his presence truly was among the people of his time and place.
Sometimes it is quite easy to think of ourselves as “small” and having little usefulness in a larger scheme, perhaps discouraged by limitations that occasionally overwhelm. I admit that I have had these thoughts from time to time. Perhaps you have, too. If and when we do, it is always helpful to bring to mind the countless experiences and events that would not have taken place but for our presence in the world. Carrying this further, contemplate the vast future possibilities for blessings that yet can be brought about. I think we will all be astonished!
The theme of “It’s a Wonderful Life,” as stated by Frank Capra, Jr. (the son of the film’s producer-director), is “Everyone’s life touches so many other lives.” To me, this is a way of expressing the spiritual unity of God’s creation within a world of seeming differences and separation. Remembering and acting upon our interconnection can bring about layers of blessing to a world long ago found to be weary and worn. We each have a role to play. God relies on it!

Dear God,
Whenever I am tempted to think of myself as having limited value or usefulness to You or others, send Your Holy Spirit to lift me to a higher plane where I can readily see and appreciate the oneness of Your creation and the love You have for every part of it. Help me, too, to express this love as Your Voice so reveals. Thank You very much. Amen.

Doug Dykstra

No comments: