Monday, March 08, 2010

March 8, 2010

His Eye is on the Sparrow

“Look at the birds of the air; they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they?
“Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? and one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father. But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear ye not therefore, ye are of more value than many sparrows.” Matthew 6:26, 10:29-31

For those of you who know me, this past year has been a year of many changes: retirement, family illness, economic worries, a graduation for one child, changes in job and location for another child, continuing concerns for the third. It has been a rough time. Through it all, the one constant has been faith. Prayer has been a part of my daily life. Many people say why bother? Are prayers answered?

One thing I know for sure, prayers are indeed answered. God is watching out for those I love. God is watching out for me. Maybe we don’t always understand the events in our lives, but overall there is a greater plan for us. I like to be in control, but there are many things that I don’t have control over. It’s very hard to relinquish the control. Remember the phrase, “Let go, and let God.” That’s what we have to do. If we offer our prayers to God, we are letting go.

As a prayer, here are the words to the gospel hymn, “His Eye is on the Sparrow.”
Why should I feel discouraged? Why should the shadows come? Why should my heart feel lonely and long for heaven and home? When Jesus is my portion, a constant friend is He. His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches over me. His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me. I sing because I'm happy. I sing because I'm free. His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.

Libby Van de Putte.

No comments: