Friday, March 05, 2010

March 5, 2010

Where are Your Trophies?

Read: UM Hymnal #504

Last week, while walking downtown, I passed by the well-known DuMouchelle Auction House. The windows on one side of the building were filled with the most amazing collection of wild animals one could imagine in one place.

The large lions were in a running position, and filled large sections of the windows. This piqued my interest, and I entered the building to take a closer look at the animals. The collection was even more impressive when seen up close.

It was evident this large collection of animals from all over the world represented a lifetime of perseverance, energy, dedication, and resources to assemble.

I walked over to the man at the desk and asked if this was a single collection or a combination of many.
He said, “No, these trophies all belonged to one man.” He was a Detroit auto executive whose name I recognized. “All of his trophies are for sale.”

This statement reminded me of the refrain from one of the best-loved songs of the church by George Bennard -

So I'll cherish the old rugged cross,
till my trophies at last I lay down;
I will cling to the old rugged cross,
and exchange it some day for a crown.

The executive had laid down his trophies.
Where are your trophies?
Would you exchange them for a cross and a crown?

Doug Ross, Sr.

No comments: