Saturday, March 20, 2010

March 20, 2010

Sunday Dinner at Grandma's House

Read: UM Hymnal #621

Little Jimmy and his family were having Sunday dinner at his grandmother's house. Everyone was seated around the table as the food was being served. When Jimmy received his plate, he started eating right away.

"Jimmy! Please wait until we say our prayer," said his mother.

"I don't need to," the boy replied.

"Of course, you do." his mother insisted through gritted teeth. "We always say a prayer before eating at our house."

"That's at our house," Jimmy explained. "But this is Grandma's house and she knows how to cook."


That story is pretty funny, but it also made me think about how we view prayer.

Prayer shouldn't be a “just in case I can't handle it myself” kind of thing. It shouldn't be a “there's nothing we can do now, so we might as well pray,” a last resort.

Prayer is just talking with my Father. He loves me and I love Him. I want Him to know what's going on with me, and I want his wisdom and guidance, and all I have to do is ask.

Have you talked with your Father today?

No comments: