Thursday, March 04, 2010

March 4, 2010

Liberty

"Proclaim liberty throughout all the Land unto all the inhabitants thereof."
Leviticus 25:10

In January of 2009, Cleopatra Rigas Greenwell VERY kindly invited me to be a part of the bell choir. I was thrilled, because I had played bells when I was in the youth program at First United Methodist Church in Kalamazoo, Michigan. I had many fond memories of our director, sweet Georgia Woolrich and of that cute Luke Finchem, who played the big, low bells.

I was nervous to play with the venerable musicians of GPUMC, but they were welcoming and patient, and I have grown to very much enjoy rehearsing and sharing our anthems with the congregation. It is just SO much fun to make music with other people!

The Bible verse above is printed on the Liberty Bell in Freedom Hall, Philadelphia, PA. I wanted to write about bells and the bible, and liberty fits in well. One definition of liberty is freedom from servitude and bondage. Synonyms for liberty include permission, license, privilege and immunity. I feel that playing with the bell choir at GPUMC has given me increased liberty.

How so? I was nervous before our first anthem in church – imagining that ugly C# rung instead of the correct C – losing my place after the page turn (although Noelle would whisper the correct measure number to me) – ANYTHING could happen and that would be embarrassing. Then I remembered that when we make music, we are worshiping God. One cannot make a mistake in worship, and one cannot worship wrong. I was given permission (liberty) to joyfully ring and the experience is indeed a happy one.

After we play, many church members have graciously complimented our music and how much they enjoy hearing the bells. Jen Dixon wants us to play for little Kate’s wedding! I want to thank them for the privilege (liberty) to share that music with them. It is such fun to play that I feel indulged by the congregation’s audience.

I also have the liberty (PRIVILEGE) to play with such a kind and talented group of people every week. Cleopatra always reminds us of the messages we convey in worship – she makes it quite a profound spiritual experience. Charlie can play fifteen bells at the same time! My neighbor, Sue, is so calm, she never misses a note, and I have appreciated her welcome. I love the silly jokes that come from the Van de Putte (boys?) men. I have liberty to have fun and enjoy these wonderful people.


That’s where God is for me – in the people. Thank you, God, for the lovely experience of making music with the GPUMC choirs. Amen

Anne Sullivan

No comments: