Saturday, April 02, 2011

April 02, 2011

A Random Act of Kindness

Read James 2:1-4

A few weeks ago I was helping out at the annual Detroit Winter Blast in support of Matrix Human Services which the designated charity for the event.  My job was simple. Stand at the entry gate and collect a book, a canned food donation or a dollar.  Proceeds would be distributed to those in need.

As you can imagine, many forgot their food and or book donation so I was collecting a lot of dollar bills and making change.  As is my habit, I did not really read all the directions for volunteers, and came to the event dressed warmly, but with mittens, which are not ideal for making change.  So I abandoned the mittens.

My shift was the last shift of the last day, so we were short of volunteers at my station.  That made me a little nervous, as I had a lot of dollar bills in my Home Depot apron.  There was a woman standing by the entryway who looked a little “rough around the edges”.  She was talking to me periodically, and it was evident she had had a few cocktails.  Again, I felt a little nervous.

After a bit the woman approached me with a pair of fingerless gloves.  She said, “please take these, they will keep your hands warm, and you can still make change.”  I looked at her in surprise, and protested that she should keep her gloves.  She opened her coat and said, “look, I have an extra pair of gloves, please use the fingerless gloves.”  I thanked, her and donned the gloves.  She was correct, the gloves really helped keep me warm.

But the woman did more for me than just keep my hands warm that day.  She reminded me of so many lessons taught by Jesus.  They were lessons, I temporarily forgot.  Jesus taught us not to judge others.  Jesus taught us to be generous.  Jesus taught us that a gift from someone with limited means is a very special gift.  There is nothing like receiving a random act of kindness to adjust one’s perspective. 

Nancy Grose

No comments: