Tuesday, March 13, 2012

March 13, 2012

Much Afraid

Trust in the Lord with all your heart. And do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight. Proverbs 2:5-6


When I hear or read this verse I often think of the novel Hinds’ Feet on High Places by Hannah Hurnard. This story is about a young woman named Much Afraid, and her journey away from her Fearing family into the High Places of the Shepherd. It’s an allegory of the Christian life from salvation through maturity – it shows how as Christians we are transformed from unbeliever to mature believer – one who strives to walk daily with God as easily on the High Places of Joy as well as in the daily life of the mundane tasks that tempt us to lose perspective of who we now are in Christ.

Much Afraid’s journey is far from a straight path, especially at the beginning. In fact, at times it’s quite harrowing. I thought of her and then I reminisced upon my own path of Christianity. How it started, the detours it’s taken and where it is today. And I realized that when I acknowledged and trusted in Him I was no longer misled by my own understanding – and the paths became straight. So the next time you find yourself veering into the ditch, acknowledge the Lord, trust in the Lord and lean on His understanding to put you back on the right path, His path.

Kristy Irrer

No comments: