Friday, March 16, 2012

March 16, 2012

GCUMC*

Read: 1 Corinthians 1:23-31

Charlie,

Well I'll be dipped in cherry juice. I've been thinking of you a lot lately too. I've been suffering writer’s block for some time. I've got several dozen themes and I usually think of one or two per day, I just haven't been writing anything down, sorry.

We're OK. All's well or as much as it can be. The last 9 months or so have been the busiest our business has ever had. Our company has doubled its volume in virtually every aspect each year for 5 years now and we've reached the point where the beast wants constant feeding. All this is well good and proper but I've worked more Saturdays and Sundays in the last 9 months than I have in the last 18 years combined. Still not sure if it's all worth it but it sure is fun and exciting; nothing like fear to liven up your day.

As far as church goes, it's kind of weird, like when the Chief and Mayor of Gotham City were in trouble and they'd shine the Bat Light around the sky until the caped crusader showed up to save the day. I usually come by early am 05:30 or late night or Friday afternoon or when the weather changes and the boiler is down or something and I fix it and leave unseen by pretty much everyone. I've found that a side trip to the sanctuary even at odd hours often precedes a successful meeting and enhances the possibility of commerce.

Like last Friday when Judy had this bewildered look upon her when I arrived on a whim while passing down I-94 to engage in commerce with a customer. I did as I'm wont to do; I dropped in the church to pray for a successful meeting and to see if anything needed attention. This time Judy did. She had a Memorial in an hour and a half and couldn’t get the heat on in the church and it was cold in there, so I turned the heat on and she was smiling when I left.

For some reason I've been showing up when it counts. Like the time the heat in the Fellowship hall was screaming like a wild banshee the night before the Soup Supper or something. I just happened to walk down there just when our contractor was realizing this thing couldn't be fixed. I showed him how I once fixed a very similar one on a military base years ago and it's still running. He took my advice, the event went on with heat, and the church saved a boatload of money not having to replace the whole thing.

Or the time Pete Franklin called me with a near flood in the basement and the pump howling like a cat stuck in a fan. I just happened to be about 10 minutes away and for some weird reason I had a spare pump in the car with me. It was for a customer, but they could wait, this is after all the Lord's basement. And on and on and on, now that I'm thinking back, I can't tell you the number of times I've stopped by, for no apparent reason, found some little thing and fixed it just because. Soooo for now I guess I've got some built in bat light. I hope it never fails. I hope I never fail the church. I shall endeavor to not disappoint.

Hey if it's not too late you may find a devotion in here somewhere.

Ron Draper

* - Gotham City United Methodist Church

No comments: