Thursday, March 29, 2012

March 29, 2012

The Language of Love

Read: 1 Corinthians 13:1-13

I recently began taking sign language classes. I’m finding it very challenging to communicate without speaking. I’m frustrated when I try to express myself but haven’t learned or have forgotten the proper sign for certain words.

While thinking about how we communicate with one another, I realize that I already have the ability to speak fluently without using my voice. The Christian language – the language of love – can be spoken without words. We, as disciples of Christ, are able to tell others they are loved without speaking, by our kind gestures and actions.

I recently heard a beautiful song on the radio that expressed this idea. The simple lyrics of the song, “We Can Be Kind,” describe how we can communicate the teachings of Jesus without using words:     

“We can be kind. We can take care of each other.
We can remember that deep down inside we all need the same thing.
And maybe we’ll find if we are there for each other,
    that together we’ll weather whatever tomorrow may bring.
    And it’s not enough to talk about it, not enough to sing a song,
We must walk the walk about it. You and I, do or die, we’ve got to try to get along. …
And maybe we’ll find true peace of mind, if we always remember WE CAN BE KIND.”

We should all remember that there is a universal symbol for love.

Jan Versical

No comments: