Saturday, March 03, 2012

March 3, 2012

Do Not Be Drunk

Read: Ephesians 5:17-19

When I was 27 years old, I was a Sales Representative for International Merchandise Group, one of the largest Korean shoe manufacturing companies. My job was to increase the shoe sales, not only for regular men, women, youth and children, but also, for our sporting shoes department such as athletics, snowmobile shoes, hunting shoes, fishermen’s shoes and other variety of sports lines.

The most interesting aspect of the shoes manufacturing business it the variety of shoe molds designed specifically for European, Asian and American feet shape. The size numbers were all different. Since the shoes were made by hand, the company had over 30,000 employees.

My primary responsibility was to sell the product globally in North America, South America, Europe, Africa, extending even to the North Pole and South Pole. I sent letters, brochures, samples, and I scheduled invitations, meetings and provided tours to our factories. I even entertained the clients. My target was to build a relationship with a multitude of high net-worth clients. My perseverance paid off because interested buyers not only visited our company, they also purchased our product almost on a daily basis. I would negotiate the contracts and then entertain the buyers. My sales exceeded expectations.

I made arrangements to entertain the buyers at the best restaurants and clubs because it was my responsibility to make the buyers happy. It was expected for me to join in on the heavy drinking and depending on the buyers’ request hard liquor or wine. Every night I returned home at midnight because midnight was curfew except on Sundays. It was starting to wear on me. I suggested to my company they buy a restaurant and club to save on entertainment expenses since I spent as much time there as I did at the office. The company did! The President of International Merchandise was ecstatic with not only the increase in domestic sales but the Korean Government gave a special reward to the company which increased the export sales to more than 10 different countries. As a result, my salary increased every quarter with special bonuses.

Despite my professional success, my spiritual life was decimated. I felt this heavy guilt to the Lord because my career was the excuse not to attend church every Sunday. One day I was reading the Ephesians 5:18 and this verse stood out, “do not be drunk with wine, for that is debauchery, but be filled with the Spirit”. It made me re-evaluate my life and the kind of future life I wanted. I struggled with the decision to find another job because I was so successful with my current one. It was not easy turn my back on success only to venture into the unknown. It was one of the most difficult choices to make.

I had made my decision. I went to the U.S. Embassy to get the certificate of origin for the samples of K-Mart shoes. I inquired how I could emigrate to the United States. The central office gave me an application and the officer informed me that professional engineers receive third preference cases. I was determined to go to the United States and start my new career as a mechanical engineer. I came to stay here in GPUMC.

In Asian business culture, drinking is a natural part of the work force. I wanted to escape the excessive drinking. I didn’t like how it made me feel physically and spiritually. I woke up the next day hung-over with massive headaches and stomach aches. I didn’t see any long-lasting benefits from it. Drunkenness removed self-control. You hear the saying “drunk with the Spirit”. But the key difference is the Holy Spirit produces the fruits of self-control (Galatians 5:23), “ Gentleness and self-control. There is no law against that.”

These days, I visit my mother-in-law at Boulevard Nursing Home in Rochester Hills. She suffered a stroke three years ago and she is unable to take care of herself. Normally she is pleasant and gentle person. She makes friends easily and laughs often. This past week, she lost her smile and her caregiver said her left side seemed more droopy than normal. She was worried she might have suffered another stroke. I asked my mother-in-law what was bothering her. She spoke of a wild story that sounded like a bad dream. She appeared to be filled with rage that she couldn’t shake off. Nobody could explain why and where this came from. She insisted it was real and she didn’t make it up. She doesn’t speak English so her isolation gave her no peace. She felt completely alone. I taught her to say the Lord’s Prayer and to memorize it. I would sing hymns with her and we would pray together. Her spirits seem uplifted and her smile is coming back.

Before I didn’t understand the real meaning of Ephesians 5:19 “ as you sing psalms and hymns and spiritual sings among yourselves, singing and making melody to the Lord in your hearts”. I now see the kind of medicinal influence it can have to your mind and health especially when you feel alone and depressed with your environment.

I have seen the positive results in my mother-in-law due to the fruits of the Holy Spirit. To be filled with the Holy Spirit is not the same as an alcohol buzz. You know you will wake up the next day and feel lousy. Being drunk is an illusion like my mother-in-law’s dream. To be filled with the Holy Spirit is a form of euphoria that never ends. The fruit is peace. My desire is that form of euphoria. The Holy Spirit truly gives strength and encouragement as Acts 9:31, “Then the church throughout Judea, Galilee and Samaria enjoyed a time of peace. It was strengthened; and encouraged by the Holy Spirit, it grew in number, living in the fear of the Lord.”

David Kim

No comments: