Monday, February 15, 2016

February 15, 2016

The Cross
My sister, Suellen, and I are very different people and we have different gifts and talents. We were both raised in the Methodist Church in Minneapolis, Minnesota and my sister now lives on the beautiful North Shore of Lake Superior, just 50 miles from Canada. Suellen is an artist, a writer, and a recently retired business owner of an art gallery in Lutsen, Minnesota. She wrote this poem many years ago and recently sent it to me and I wish to share it.
As you read this poem, Suellen's artistic talent comes to life as well as her devotion to Christ – many gifts, one Spirit, the love of Christ who died for us.
Priscilla van Horne


Easter Painting
Upon a bare canvas
I painted a cross
It was bold and blue
Blue for sadness
I added red pools of blood
Drops of blood
He shed for us
It didn't look right
I wiped it clean
Again I tried
The cross was still blue
The blue and red turned purple
As they do when mixed
Royal blood shed for us
Now with the brush full of turpentine
The next stroke brought
Drops of blood
Naturally streaming from the cross
I felt the tears come
Next I painted some white
At first a small dab turned into a shape
A Calla lily emerged
Its green stem wound around the cross
Behold! He died for us


Suellen Kruse

No comments: