Wednesday, February 24, 2016

February 24, 2016

What do you say when you can’t say anything?
It seems that so many of our group reflection conversations focus on our joy in connecting with others. Many times these encounters are sweet, but brief. They leave you glad for the moment and then hoping that the next will bring more. More info about a workers family, more joy from hearing cute kids practice their basic English, and more understanding of the instructions from our experts.
A day in the clinic brings a new challenge. When you are a receptionist in a Haitian health clinic with no knowledge of Creole, it makes organizing the masses more difficult. When all you can ask is for their name, it makes it hard to find moments of connection. You linger on the words you know, and hope for a knowing glance. You read body language and the din of crowd, measuring their contentment. It becomes easy to be bogged down in the doubt of the moment...wondering if there will be a moment...to bring any peace or support to the people pushing their way in the door to escape the heat of the mid-day sun.
Yet in the moment when their name is finally called and they go into the tunnel of light, bringing illumination to their ailment and relief from some of their pain, you see the universal sign. Gratitude has no single language. Love is shared through actions of care. At the end of the day the words I can't express don't matter, because the purpose remains the same. I can't say it, but I am so glad we can be here to help. I can't understand you, but I know you are thankful. Though I remain disappointed that I can't say more, when I can't say anything to you, I can do good in all the ways I can, and in all the places I can, with all the people I can.
Action is my voice today.


Rev. Dan Hart

No comments: