Tuesday, February 16, 2016

February 16, 2016

The Day Faith Told Me About; Part 1
The two most important days in a person’s life are the day you’re born and the day you find out why. (Mark Twain)
Recently a rather faithful little lady whose name is Faith made me aware of the quote from Mark Twain that subtitles this Devotion. Mark was describing the two most important days in anyone’s life; the Day You’re Born and the Day You Find Out Why. It’s been haunting me since I first heard her reference it. I’m not sure about the second part in my case, but I’ve found what I believe is the reason for several people who’ve helped me get to where I am today. For many years I’ve wanted to write a series of these short devotions in an effort to tell a really big story by telling a bunch of little ones, one story at a time, and somehow tie them together. Sometimes I may tell a story that starts with one topic, then segues into some back story about the original topic, and then finishes with the end of the first part of the story. For the longest time I thought I’d name this series, “God Showed Up” parts 1 thru ??? Aside from being more than a bit presumptuous, that name is taken by about a gazillion web sites already. I was lost for a new title.
When I dropped off a truckload of food to Faith at her shelter the other day, we talked about the “day you find out why” and I knew I’d found my theme. In Charlie’s 2016 Devotional I hope to have some entries (I hope they make the cut), and in the process I hope to someday find my own “Why." All of the stories I’ll contribute are true to the extent that I can substantiate. The last 3 years of my life are a foggy blur; things I’m sure I’ll remember to write down are often the first things I lose before I get to write them; so goes the recovery from a closed head injury. I do, however, have over 4,500 photos, hundreds of video clips, dozens of audio recordings, a few thousand e-mails, and many thousands of text messages that provide me a good record to reference when composing these stories. While I may be off somewhat on exact ages of people, or complete names, etc., I assure you, these things actually happened. The first one is about a little boy named Levi and the man who survived a terrible trauma that led him to a life of helping people through similar circumstance. I hope you enjoy reading them.
Prayer: Lord may we all find our “Why” while we’re still strong enough to do something with it.


Ron Draper; Dec. 2, 2015

No comments: