Friday, February 19, 2016

February 19, 2016

Renewed
Everything certainly happens for a reason. I finally got to Walmart about 15 minutes ago and was stoked at the awesome parking spot I got! I realized upon nearly walking into a glass entry door, that they had shut down that entrance for the night, and I was in fact completely on the other side of the lot from the door.
I decided to move my car closer for safety, and as I sat down and was about to close my door, I heard "Excuse me! Excuse me, miss." I looked behind me to see a little old lady standing by her car with a full cart, looking somewhat panicked. "I'm so sorry to bother you, it's just, this thing won't work, it's broken, I can't get into my car. Even the panic button. I can't get in."
She pointed to her fob. I got out and walked to her car across the lane. She was nearly in tears. "I just don't know what's going on and I can't get in, and my cell phone battery is dead..." I talked to her and tried the fob to no avail, so I offered for her to use my phone. She called her son worriedly, who explained that there was a hidden internal key. She didn't think there was even a keyhole since it was protected and she had always used the fob, so I helped her manipulate the key and find the keyhole.
You would have thought I had given her a million dollars by how much appreciation she expressed. She said I was her guardian angel. We got her car door opened up and I helped her load her groceries into the back seat. As we did, she reflected on how nervous she was, and how grateful. "You know, maybe I shouldn't be out this late, my husband is in the hospital, well he's doing better now, but I just went in for a garbage can and I must have spent two hours and $120 in there." I laughed because I can totally relate.
After she was all loaded up, I made sure she was all squared away and told her to drive safely. She said she'd drive slowly, and that I was her guardian angel again, and "if there were blessings to be had I would be receiving them."
It's funny because yes, I did help her, I think most people would have – but I promise that as grateful as she was, I honestly feel like I received the largest blessing through that interaction. Something about her just left a mark on me. Can't really explain it, but it left me feeling renewed.


Jill Stelma

No comments: