Thursday, February 18, 2016

February 18, 2016

Listen and Love
My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry. – James 1:19, NIV

In my work with Stephen Ministry, I have become fascinated with listening. Sounds simple to listen, but it is not. Listening, hearing, understanding – is anything more rare in our daily lives? To truly listen requires patience, attention, discipline, open-mindedness. When I am with someone who listens to me, I feel affirmed and energized. I feel I have an ally. I feel ready to face my next challenge.
Stephen Ministers are trained to listen. I think that I liked that part of our training best; quietly listening for clues to how a person was feeling. Almost like solving a puzzle. But what shocked me most, was that when someone was listening to me, even in a training role-play, I felt so nourished. I felt cherished and important. It occurred to me that true listening does not happen often enough.
Of course, I think about prayer time – time where God listens. God is unlimited and infinite. God is the best listener of all! It takes some discipline for me to remember that God will listen to all my large and small cares, at any time!
On any Sunday morning at GPUMC, or any meeting, rehearsal or event, for that matter, observe the patient listening that goes on. I have witnessed beautiful displays of listening, affirmation and care between church members, visitors and family members. Big struggles and problems are shared and prayed about. Hugs, squeezes and comfort is given. Loving, attentive listening is displayed all around. It is such a pleasure to see and take part in.
The lovely verse from James above does not JUST focus on listening, but he does instruct us FIRST to listen. I am so grateful to be a part of a church that listens and loves. Amen.


Anne Sullivan

No comments: